Saturday, May 19, 2007

Answered Prayer

Most of you know Bill had a heart attack and four-by-pass surgery while in Branson on a tour of shows in 2006. Our children & grandchildren took turns staying with us and caring for us both while we were in Branson for three weeks and then in Baylor hospital here in Garland for four weeks.We had this Bible verse written on the bulletin boards in both hospitals: " Nothing is too hard for God” ( Jeremiah 32:17,27). It had such a positive impact on everyone, doctors, nurses, on all the care-givers that we could feel the power of God at work. It has been over a year now and Bill has no feeding tube, no oxygen, no ventilator, no dialysis and no walker. He is enjoying life again. Prayer does have a powerful impact on our lives when we use it. Here are a few quotes from famous people regarding prayer.
  • Abraham Lincoln: “I talk to God when problems loom. My mind seems relieved when I do and a way is suggested. I should be a self-conceited blockhead if I should hope to get along without the wisdom that comes from God.”
  • Benjamin Franklin called for daily prayers. He said: “The longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see that God governs the affairs of men.”
  • President Eisenhower believed prayer could spark dedication in receptive hearts around the earth and he quoted: “I am certain wondrous results could be accomplished by hundreds upon hundreds of millions in personal prayer.”If prayer did not produce results, it would soon be weeded out of the human race. In those times it is not prayer which has failed, but we have failed to pray.
  • Rufus Jones (Quaker Philosopher)This is a story from Readers Digest printed several years ago:A small boy was struggling mightily, to lift a heavy stone he couldn’t budge. Happening to pass by, his father asked, 'are you using all your strength?' 'Yes , I am' said the boy impatiently, ‘I don’t think you are,' said the father, ‘you haven’t asked me to help.

Gratitude
We are prone to take the blessings
we receive from day to day
Without a word of 'thank you'
Till they all go away.
Let us express appreciation
our blessings, come what may,
And try to be more worthy
Each and every day.


I am a cancer survivor. The last two weeks Bill was in the hospital, I entered the hospital to have surgery for lubular carcinoma. It was decided that I would have a radical double masectomy. At my age the chances of it coming back are moot.


He answered prayer,
Not in the way I sought,
Not in the way I thought He ought;
But in His own good way and I could see
He answered in the fashion best for me;
And I was glad that I had such a share
In His loving and gracious care.
That He answered prayer.


Dear Lord, take care of yourself, if You don't, we are all in trouble.

2 comments:

Lisa Smith said...

Hi, Grandmother--Thank you and Papa for believing God answers prayer and for knowing where your strength comes from. I love you. Thanks for teaching us.

Anonymous said...

That is pretty intense! It's a good thing there were so many family member to be able to take care of you while the other were able to see some Branson attractions.