Tuesday, July 1, 2008

You Bet I'm a Flag Waver! by Mary Lou Kieswetter

I hope you will enjoy this inspiring message that was sent to us from Bill Woods several years ago.

It seems appropriate to reflect on that all-important symbol of our freedom: THE FLAG!
The rat-a-tat-tat of a drummer’s stick, the clash of brass cymbals, the twirling of silver batons and a brilliantly dressed fast-stepping color guard marching down the middle of Any Street, U.S.A., are the appetizers that stimulate my hungry heart for a nourishing feast of patriotism. The chemistry of my anatomy has lacked this ingredient for a near-disastrous length of time and my system is suffering form “patriotic decay.”

I want to feel my heart race, a mist to cloud my eyes, and the tightness of that ‘lump in my throat’ to make speaking impossible for a moment. I crave to know that good old-fashioned spirit of flag-waving. Let me see visions of Betsy Ross, Washington, Jefferson and Nathan Hale as I watch a parade pass by. If I become so stirred that I shout, “Three cheers for the red, white and blue,” don’t jeer me. JOIN me and let the world know you are proud to be an American!
Why can’t Americans let loose emotionally and allow their fervor for flag and country to ripple forth as do the red and white stripes of our beautiful American flag? Because somewhere among the curbside of every parade Americans are brainwashed into believing it “corny” to become wrapped up constitutionally with a 3’ by 5’ red, white and blue piece of cloth. A complacent attitude toward our 50 stars seems the socially-accepted way to respond. God forgive you who have allowed this apathy to destroy our national heritage--a heritage so desired by those who conceive to destroy it that they strive continuously to unravel our red, white and blue braid of unity and endeavor to steal our precious privilege of living free. We modern Americans take so for granted the inheritance we have been given that we have become negligent of the realization that we have been entrusted to preserve the heritage for those yet unborn.

No-one is born patriotic. Patriotism must be instilled through constant introduction to the subject just as we are taught our religion. The Cross and the Flag are the two symbols we as Americans may share regardless of our race, creed, color, financial status or political views. We enter the House of Worship to acknowledge our belief in God. The American flag is displayed to educate those around us that we have love for flag and country and the freedoms it stands for. How do we preserve our heritage for future generations? It would be simple if mason jars could be filled and labeled with “Blood Shed while the Star-Spangled Banner Was Being Written” or “Tears and Sweat from Those Who Fought at Flanders Field, Corregidor and Pearl Harbor.” But the accomplishments of the past cannot be bottled and placed on a shelf for the next generation to open. Our nation heritage must be preserved within the capsule of the human heart with enough dedicated character to subject its overflow into our nation‘s youth. Heritage is preserved through citizenry. We are citizens; it is up to us to set the example for our children to endeavor to be “good citizens.” The demonstration of strong faith in democracy must be made prevalent. The youth of our nation is Uncle Sam’s strongest weapon against defeat. Each generation must rekindle in its youth the allegiance to our flag, reverence for those in our nation’s past and an attitude of cooperation with the present administration if office, regardless of personal political views.

Numerate your blessings on the Fourth of July, our nation’s birthday; for your material accomplishments could not be totaled if your first blessing hadn’t been that of being born an American. You be I’M A FLAG WAVER, and when I place my hand over my heart as that glorious American flag of our passes by, I feel very near to God; and that’s a pretty good place to be in these troubled days

1 comment:

Lisa Smith said...

God Bless the USA!!! Right now the kids sing "You're a Grand Ole Flag" nonstop. They were so excited it was the Fourth of July and I was too!