Sunday, November 2, 2008

Scripture

Halloween or ‘All Saints Day’ is just past. We celebrated All Saints Day in church today remembering members who had passed away during the past year.

I was remembering Elizabeth Faris who was a good friend & mentor to me., also the wife of a Presbyterian Minister. I recalled many wonderful memories of time spent together, but foremost were the times I heard her refer to a Bible verse to solve a particular problem. She believed that everything in life had an answer in the scriptures. What a good example she set for me to follow.

I believe that the Bible is the greatest guide in the world if we know how to use it.
The Bible tells us that “all Scripture is given by inspiration of God” (2 Tim. 3:16) and is profitable for our spiritual development. Only as we see the big picture - how the many biblical doctrines fit together - will we avoid staring at some truths and becoming blind to others.

The Rev. Ira Guss describes the Bible this way:
“ This book contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, doom of sinners and happiness of believers. Its doctrines are Holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true and its decisions are immutable. Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe and practice to be Holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you and comfort to cheer you. It is the traveler’s map, the pilgrim‘s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword and Christians’ charter. Here Paradise is restored, Heaven opened and the gates of hell closed. Christ is its grand subject, our good its design and the glory of God its end. It should fill the memory , rule the heart and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently, prayerfully. It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory and a river of pleasure. It is given you in life, will be open at the judgment and be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibility, rewards the greatest labor and condemns all who trifle with its Holy contents.”

All scripture is God talking to his people. He is invisible to our eyes and our hands cannot touch Him, but that doesn’t mean He’s not here. Electricity is invisible, but it is a source of vast power. God has given us scripture and He calls it His word. The more you know the Word, the better you will hear His voice. To ensure you have a good day always start the day with scripture and prayer. Take time to read Psalm 119 33-40 and make its words your prayer. Teach me (v33), Give me (34), Make me (v35), Incline me (v36), Turn me (v37), Establish me (v38), Spare me (v39), Revive me (v40).

“Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.” Matt. 4:4

2 comments:

Lisa Smith said...

Beautiful words and wise advice. What an example you are to me! love you! xoxo

steve mitchell said...

very wise council; i'm glad you're my mom