Tuesday, April 14, 2009

One Day at a Time

I was 4 years old in 1929 when wall street hit bottom. I remember the lean years that followed. Once again we are experiencing an economic crisis. The whole world seems to be one great sea of unrest. But the Lord has given us a sure cure for care in these verses of scripture.

Matt.6:34 “Take therefore no thought for the morrow, for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself.”

Matt. 6:25-33 “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you shall eat or what you shall drink, nor about your body, what you shall put on. Is not life more than food, and body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value then they?”

I believe God is saying this: Build an invisible fence around today and stay within that enclosure. Do not try to look beyond it, and live your life the best you can, moment by moment, prayerfully, earnestly, joyfully, knowing He will be with you. He assures strength for today. He will supply tomorrow’s strength when tomorrow comes.

The words to the song, ‘One Day At A Time,” can have meaning for us:
I’m only human, I’m just a man
Help me believe in what I can be and all that I am
Lord for my sake teach me to take
One day at a time.
One day at a time sweet Jesus
That’s all I’m asking from you.
Just give me the strength to do every day
What I have to do
Yesterday’s gone sweet Jesus and
Tomorrow may never be mine.
Lord, help me today, show me the way
One day at a time.

Do not be distracted by looking forward to things you cannot see and cannot understand.. Short horizons make life easier . Life does not come to us all at one time, it comes only one day at a time.
It is a blessed secret this living by the day. Anyone can carry his burden, however heavy, till night . Anyone can do his work, however hard, for one day.
Dare to live your day as He would have you, one day at a time, and remember His promise. Deut. 33:25 “As thy days, so shall thy strength be.”

I may never see tomorrow, There’s no written guarantee.
And things that happened yesterday belong to history.
I cannot predict the future, I cannot change the past..
I have just the present moment, I must treat it as my last,
I must use this moment wisely, for it soon will pass away.
And be lost to me forever as part of yesterday.
I must exercise compassion, help the fallen to their feet.
Be a friend unto the friendless, make an empty life complete.
The unkind things I do today may never be undone,
And friendships that I fail to win may nevermore be won.
I may not have another chance on bended knees to pray
And thank God with humble heart,
For giving me this day.
Unknown

3 comments:

steve mitchell said...

well said

Jerry said...

I found your blog by accident, and I am glad I did.
I Started my blog called onedayatatime-jerry. I never new what you have posted called one day at a time. it brought tears to my eyes as i read it. I thank you so very much for being here.May God continue to bless you.

Lisa Smith said...

I love the invisible fence...I think I'll go build one right now.