Saturday, July 4, 2009

The art of listening

Too often here at Chambrel communication is all one-sided. People talk and never listen. They believe they have the amazing ability to successfully solve all problems. They are convinced they can see more and farther than others. The past is ignored and the future is certain since they are in charge.

Unfortunately, we all tend to live in a way that draws attention to ourselves--our cars, our clothes, our careers, our cleverness, our success. But when life is all about us, and we fail to interact with others, there are consequences .

The importance of self and the importance of talking cannot be denied, but too much of either, or both will block the channel of communications. God gave us two ears and only one mouth. Does that indicate that He wants us to listen twice as much as we talk?

To listen lovingly is an expressive act of Christian concern and obedience. We do not know how God talked to his people in the Old Testament time, but likely, just as he speaks to us today, in a still small voice, “Be still and know that I am God.” --Psalm 46:1

We hear the alarm clock in the morning, the telephone, the door bell, the din of traffic. We are so accustomed to having everything we do accompanied by sound that it is difficult to realize that we can accomplish something in silence.

Listening is an art and courtesy. The sense of fairness, equality, polite social interchange, and common decency depend on polite listening. Listening is an education. The wiser the person, the greater will be his listening capacity. Listening is a creative process for the exchange of ideas. We should all learn to be dedicated listeners

. We can talk to God without uttering a word. We can confide our hopes, our fears, our faults, our desires and our intentions to Him. In this silence we know that we will be heard, that we will be encouraged , forgiven and strengthened.

When I really listen I can hear the Master’s voice coming in clear:
Precious child have no fear for you are not alone, I am near.

Just for Today
Lord for tomorrow and its needs I do not pray,
Keep me, my God from stain of sin, just for today.
Now set a seal upon my lips, for this I pray;
Keep me from wrong or idle words, just for today.
Let me be slow to do my will, prompt to obey,
And keep me, guide me, use me, Lord, just for today.

1 comment:

robert said...

Thanks for posting some of the hymn "Just for Today." Though written by a Roman Catholic, it presents a truth that is biblical. It emphasizes the need to live each day drawing upon God's all-sufficient grace. On my daily blog, Wordwise Hymns this morning, I tell a bit about the hymn and its author.

I read your article on church attendance with interest--and I certainly agree. If you go to the following page of my website, Wordwise Bible Studies, you'll find two articles: Why Attend Church? and Why Attend Church Regularly.

http://www.wordwise-bible-studies.com/christian-life.html