Sunday, October 18, 2009

Mt. of Olives - Garden of Gethsemane

Olive Leaf




The Mount of Olives offers the best view of the city. It is closely connected with the last years of Jesus' life. On the slope of the mountain is the Garden of Gethsemane. It appears today as it did centuries ago. It was a spot favored by Jesus (Luke 22:39).

This is the garden where Jesus on His last night underwent the most sorrowful hour of His passion, taking upon Himself the sins of all mankind. It was here that Jesus prayed those heart rending words: "O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." (Matt. 28:39)

Sixteen nations contributed to the construction of the "Church of all Nations," built on this site. Part of the traditional rock of agony lies in front of the main altar. You are encouraged to knell, touch the rock and say a prayer. It was here where I knelt and felt His presence and His agony over my sins and your sins and I knew for certain that He truly lives and bears our burdens, and I wept and that night I wrote this poem.


In the Garden

Come kneel in the garden,
Where Jesus knelt to pray,
"Our Father, Not my will, but Thine,"
Yet He knew the price to be paid.

Come kneel in the Garden,
Where Jesus wept for you and for me,
How deeply our Lord suffered,
And still the cross at Calvary.

Come kneel in the garden,
Jesus still hears and cares,
Where you can leave your worries,
Our Lord our burdens bears.
See October 6th forthe start of this series on the Holy Land.





No comments: