Thursday, January 24, 2008

Grace and Gratitude

It is time for me to acknowledge my gratitude to God for the healing of body & spirit!


GRACE implies a willingness to grant favors. A virtue coming from God. The first priority then is being thankful to God for our blessings - no matter how may or how few they happen to be.

MERCY is a blessing that is an act of divine favor or compassion. It implies compassion that forbears punishing even when justice demands it. Our sins are pardoned. Grace and Mercy cannot be separated - they have share meaning elements.

GRATITUDE or Thankfulness is one of the most important and beautiful words in the English language. The dictionary defines it as 'an acknowledgement of a favor, gift or benefit,' but beyond that this wonderful word is gratifying to the giver and heart-warming to the receiver. I recall reading that gratitude is not only the memory, but the homage of the heart, rendered to God for His Goodness.

Gratitude is all too rare. Too much is taken for granted. The more blessings we have, the less we appreciate them. Just as gratiude is one of the finest attributes of mankind, ingratitude is one of the most tragic shortcomings.

I always thought I would write a book aboout my faith called: "Grace and Gratitude." When I finally did write about my faith, I called it: 'In the Meanwhile,' starting with Grace & Gratitude and ending with Holding Hands, for it is what we do with our lives in between after accepting His Grace that bring us to the last, Holding Hands with God.

Our gratitude for blessings received should be as sincere and deeply rooted as the mercies sought and grace given. It should be based on the Grace through Faith we have in God, who offers us a chance for eternal life.

My heart is full to overflowing in gratitude for the blessings I have received from friends and family and the realization that God's Grace is with us always.

Shakespeare petitioned: O Lord, who lends me life, lend me a heart replete with thankfulness.

The Bible is still the greatest guide in the world, if you know how to use it. For this alone, we should thank God.



You came to earth in human form
You experienced all walks of life
You taught and healed the multitude
Whose lives were full of strive.

You have wiped my past away
You know me through and through
Your mercy is more than I deserve
Each and everyday I start anew.

You have walked and talked with me
You have taught me how to pray
I've learned to wait for answers
In all things come what may.

And in our daily problems
The Holy Spirit's there to guide
The words we cannot express
You abundantly provide.

Dear Lord, I'm very thankful
For the Grace you do bestow
My grateful heart rejoiced
In the blessings that I know.
Wilhelmine


2 comments:

steve mitchell said...

GOD truly has been merciful to each of us; i am glad your body is healing, and you can continue to share the example of your faith to all who will read

Lisa Smith said...

What a beautiful poem...I am so glad you are doing well. That is a true reminder of God's grace. I love you xxoo