Thursday, January 3, 2008

ADVERSITY

This was written to bolster my morale as I face major surgery. I have had too much time to ponder while waiting for a surgery date. Today was my Pre-op and also my birthday and I spent all day at the hospital having a procedure that was necessary before I have surgery on the 8th. I did get lots of cards & well-wishes and spent the day with my daughter - that was a plus.

When I had Hepatitis the following scripture was meaningful: “…..but they that wait for the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.“ Isaiah 40:31. I even had a plaque printed with this scripture until a friend needed it more than I did and I passed it on.

Deut.33:27 says “The eternal God is your dwelling place and underneath are the everlasting arms.” I had a painting of Christ with his arms and hands outstretched. I always found solace in looking at this picture when I needed assurance in time of need. I gave this picture away when a friend moved out of state and she needed the same assurance the picture portrayed for her.

When I’m anxious or troubled, my son, Steve tells me to go back and read my blogs. Instead, I’m writing a new one to fortify me for what lies ahead.

I read somewhere that frequently it takes adversity to really test a person’s fortitude.
The late Walt Disney once said: “You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world, you may come away grinning.”

A German proverb says: “He who has not tasted bitter does not know what sweet is”

In China a philosopher said: “The diamond cannot be polished without friction or the man perfected without trial.”

The poet Longfellow wrote: Let us be patient! These afflictions not from the ground arise, but oftentimes celestial benediction assumes this dark disguise.

An unknown writer penned these lines which were adopted as a motto for the famous Kennedy family: “When the going gets tough, the tough get going.”

Then there is the words to a song….Pack up your troubles in your old kit-bag and smile, smile, smile.

I think I’ll settle on the scripture: “Thou shall keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee.”
Isaish 26:3

God hath not promised skies always blue,
Flower strewn pathways all our lives through.
But GOD HATH PROMISED strength for the day,
Rest for the labor, light for the way,
Grace for the trials, help from above,
Unfailing sympathy, undying love.

1 comment:

steve mitchell said...

In an attempt to be light hearted- there is good news and bad news. The good news is that there are surgical procedures to correct the problem and free you from pain. The bad news is that you have to go thru the surgery.

We all love our mother and will be praying for her swift recovery. Her attitude of Faith is an example to all of us; and she is quite the Poet. We do well to have her as an example.