Monday, June 22, 2009

Confidence

The sermon at church today was about 'Power,' and ultimately the Power of Christ. It was mentioned that we have power as a group by association with that group; we have power through success in business or some other venture. I like to think we have power when we have confidence in ourselves through the power of Christ.

Confidence is a vitally needed asset today when there is such a tragic lack of faith in our national leadership ,in our government and in the economy. Everyone needs something or someone to believe in...First, the greatest need is to have faith in God. Second, we should have confidence in ourselves.

I remember reading a story to my children entitled, 'I Think I Can.' It told of a little train engine pulling many rail-cars up a steep hill. As it huffed and puffed, it keep saying: 'I think I can, I think I can,' and it pulled the big load up over the hill. It is true that only those conquer who believe they can.

Right thinking is important. Generally success in life depends not so much on talent or opportunity as upon concentration and perseverance and the right attitude. Our attitude isn't simply a state of mind...it is also a reflection of what we value. Attitude is more than just saying I can, it is believing you can. It requires believing before seeing, because seeing is based on circumstances, believing is based on faith.

Every individual can develop an attitude of confidence. The choice is ours. It allows us to rise above our failures, it enables us to be helpful to others. Example: A candle loses nothing of its light by lighting another candle.


Be confident that you have within yourself the power to be successful and happy. Remember that your life was intended to be a success, because you have the power of mind to make it that way. Remember that dedication, the right goals, striving for excellence and hard work are the golden keys to success.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me." (Phil. 4:13) The man who believes this has a calm, quiet attitude, because his confidence is based upon God's power and not his own power.


Heaven is not reached at a single bound,
But we build the ladder by which we rise
From the lowly earth to the vaulted skies,
And we mount to it summit round by round


Josiah Gilbert Holland.

No comments: