Saturday, June 20, 2009

If You Have Scraps, Make a Quilt

The marketing department here at Chambrel held a quilt show recently. Many residents, including myself. displayed their homemade quilts. The Garland Quilting Guild also had quilts on display.


Women have traditionally made quilts. Our great, great grandmothers sewed quilts to record family history. Flour and sugar sacks were used to make dresses and the scraps were used to make quilts. You might have a quilt (old & tattered) that was passed down from one generation to another. Many of these quilts told stories; sewed to record family weddings, births and other happy family events. Many untold stories probably went into the making of quilts. Most attractive were the ones made with bright colors, but all were pieces of art.


Many times the women met after the squares or pieces were put together to quilt, thereby finishing the quilt much faster. This was called a 'Quilting Bee.' As the women stitched, they share their joys and their troubles. The fellowship they enjoyed was also a good way to relieve the stress of the day. There is nothing more stimulating and tension reducing as taking time to talk with friends and sharing information.


Stress is no respecter of persons. Extended stress can lead to stomach ulcers, diatbetes and high blood pressure. Moreover, some experts on the subject have concluded that even the common cold, and dozens of other illnesses can be triggered by the tension caused from stress..


Life runs smoothly for us for a time, and we develop a sense of a burden-free existence, then comes a problem that almost crushes us with its weight. At such a time we need a way to get through those 'Extra-Stress-Times.'


We often hear there's nothing new under the sun - just old ideas that get updated. 'If you have scraps, make a quilt' is a decorative sign in my home that reminds me stress can be conquered when we learn to relax by participating in some sort of recreations or craft - maybe even piecing a quilt.





Today

A new day I see, and only I can determine

What kind of day it will be.


It can be busy and sunny, and gay


Or boring and cold, unhappy and grey.


My own state of mind is the determining key,


For I am only the person I let myself be


It's not easy to do what I should, I confess,


To laugh and be happy and free from all stress,


But I have faith in my self, and believe what I say,


I personally intend to make the best of each day.

1 comment:

steve mitchell said...

i'm sure there were many prayers said for the recipient of your beutiful quilts while you were sewing
thanks