Thursday, June 7, 2007

ACT OR REACT

Bill and I live at Chambrel, a retirement for Senior Citizens. A new resident was at breakfast recently and
rudely asked me to get out of his way while we were both in line to get food. My response was “Wait your turn,” in not too pleasant a voice. The resident seems to be rude and grumpy all of the time. I thought he sure is a sullen fellow. Am I going to react to this man each time he is rude? Why should I let him decide how I’m going to act, and as I thought more about this incident, it occurred to me that the important thing here was the word , ACT not REACT as I had done.
I am usually cheerful, smiling, helpful and to let another person determine whether I shall be rude or gracious is to relinquish control over my personality. I decided I needed help to become master over my own actions & attitudes, so I turned to God.
I asked what could I do?
"Build me a better world, " God said,
I asked: "How? This world is so complicated
And I am so small."
Then God, in His Infinite Wisdom replied:
“Just build a better you!”

2 comments:

steve mitchell said...

My mom once told me that 'It is better to be nice, than right'. Mom you can only change you for the better

Lisa Smith said...

Such wise words!