Saturday, June 23, 2007

Too Fast

I've watched several commercials lately, "Life comes at you fast." It is like a wake-up call. Just when you decide retirement is all about rest and relaxation..............Bam..............you are reminded life is not all about you.

We read about the destruction caused by flooding; children dying of aids; the shooting of innocent people, the killings by radical rebels in Iraq and in other parts of the world, etc., etc

We can make use of our escape mechanism and tell ourselves we have already done our share (after all, we are retired), or we can reach out and help relieve the suffering of others.

We can make an impact in their misfortune. When we let ourselves be used by God, he will give us the added strength & resources we need.



Go away world, you are coming too close,

I see the destruction from the power you boast.

The dead and the wounded caused by war,

There must be a way to love others more.

I see the way of the Militant,

Justice and dignity is what he wants.

Rebellion and riots afar spread,

There must be a way to hold hands instead.

I see the forsaken everywhere,

Poverty, hunger, the naked, the bare.

No schools in which to learn,

Or security for which they yearn.

I see it all world, you are coming so fast,

I'm comfortable in the way of the past.

I've built a wall between me and my brother,

It will take time to reach each other.

Lord God above to you I yield,

Tear down the wall and a bridge build.

I have so much, teach me to share,

For a wounded world, teach me to care.

2 comments:

Lisa Smith said...

Grandmother--Very insightful words. We are the only Jesus lots of this world will ever see. I pray my life is never about me but all about Jesus and His love for others. I love you!!! XOXO

steve mitchell said...

Mom, i am proud of your continued service in your 'golden' years; you put most of us to shame