Saturday, August 22, 2009

Holding Hands

One day in 1932, pianist, singer, and songwriter Thomas A. Dorsey discovered his need for God’s comfort. He left his pregnant wife, Nettie at home while he drove to sing at a revival meeting. At the end of Dorsey’s performance, he received a telegram with the tragic news that Nettie had died in childbirth. Within hours, the baby boy also died. Filled with grief, Dorsey sought answers. A few nights after his wife’s death, Dorsey sat down at the piano and began to play. Finally sensing God’s peace and closeness, he began to sing some new words and play a new song:

Precious Lord, take my hand
Lead me on, let me stand;
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn;
Through the storm, through the night,
Lead me on to the light;
Take my hand, precious Lord,
Lead me hone.

When we put our hand in the hand of the Master, you’ll feel his arms around you. It is God who works in us, giving us the desire to obey Him and the power to do His will. Phil.2:13

Most roller coasters, no matter how high or how fast you go, you are kept snugly in place by a safety bar and a harness. So, also, we can be secure when God wraps His arms around us.

When we put ourselves in God’s hands we relinquish the burden of being responsible for those things beyond our control. God accepts the responsibility for our lives. So, by faith, we have the assurance that God has plans for us better than anything we can either desire or deserve.

Written by Dag Hammersjkold in his book ‘Markings.’ "He who places his hand in God’s Hand walks free.”

Put your hand in God’s and walk free,
For many this is hard to see.
Pray often to our God, and let us talk,
And know He does beside us walk.
Better still, a time of quiet,
To listen and be guided by it.
Wilhelmine

No comments: