Monday, April 2, 2007

An Easter Story

Several years ago I had the opportunity to visit the Holy Land which included a stop at the church in the Garden of Gethsemane. The Garden of Gethsemane lies at the foot of the Mount of Olives. It appears today as it did twenty centuries ago, a most impressive site. This is the Garden where Jesus on his last night underwent the most sorrowful hour of his passion taking upon Himself the sins of all mankind. As a tourist I was encouraged to kneel and place my hand on the rock (which is in the church) where Jesus knelt and prayed: "Not my will, but thy will O Lord." As I knelt and touched the rock I felt his anguish so strongly tears flowed down my face, I couldn't move as I understood the great sacrifice He made for us all. That evening I wrote this poem.

In the Garden
Come kneel in the garden
where Jesus knelt to pray
Our Father, not my will, but thy
He knew the price he had to pay
Come kneel in the garden
Where Jesus wept for you and me
How deeply our Lord suffered
and still - the cross at calvery
Come kneel in the garden
Jesus still hears and cares
Where you can leave your worries
For our Lord your burdens bears
When I arrived home I was moved to write the following poem:
The Good News
I saw a woman weeping and I heard her say
"Is this not where they laid my Lord?"
Then from a distance one who observed the scene
"Women, do not be sorry or weep, nay,
I go to my Father and your Father to prepare the way."
I saw a woman running and I heard her shout
"My Lord has risen - Hallelujah!"
He said our sins died with Him on the cross
This was what His death was all about
We will be with Him in Heaven, not to doubt
I saw a woman singing - her voice was full of joy
She could do naught but spread the word
Of the wondrous things she had seen and heard
We will have eternal glory
To spread His love was her story
I saw a woman praying in humble gratitude
I would capture all I saw and hold it dear
And tell the good news far and near
I would pray for a thankful heart,
to God in glorious magnitude
He is Risen! He is Risen indeed!
(Wilhelmine Mitchell - 1981)

2 comments:

Lisa Smith said...

I love your poems. I can't wait to read more of your writing. It's very inspirational!

I love you! XOXOXO

Happy Easter! He is risen!

Historicus said...

Grandmother, your poems are quite inspiring.

Thank you for sharing them with us.

We enjoyed seeing you and Papa for Easter!

-Matthew