Sunday, April 15, 2007

One Day at a Time




RoseAnn will soon be 60 years old . In discussing her birthday, I learned that 60 years of age is the milestone for Baby Boomers. For my generation, the age was 65. It seems everyone & everything is moving faster these days. I am reminded that one day at a time is sufficient for our needs.

My favorite scripture has always been: "This is the day the Lord hath made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." ( Ps:118:24 ) I have this scripture cross-stitched and framed ( by my son, Don & his wife, Pat) hanging on the wall in my bedroom where I can see it each morning when I awake.

It has been said, there are two days in every week about which we should not worry. One of these is yesterday. It has passed away forever.

Quote by Michael Vibenko: One problem with gazing too frequently into the past is that we may turn around to find the future has run out on us."

The other day we should not worry about is tomorrow; tomorrow if beyond our control. This leaves only today - a day to start over new. The past has been erased clean and the future is yet to be. We have only today to enjoy, one day at a time.

Bird Talk
Have you ever watched a sparrow
flitting about the grass.
No worries or cares, but free
to enjoy the days go past.
He's not a pretty bird as some
that fly, often called a pest.
He drinks & feeds, a contented bird
as he builds his nest.
Now, why are we mortals
forever in a stew?
The Lord takes care of sparrows
just as he will me & you.
Wilhelmine

2 comments:

Lisa Smith said...

Grandmother--Your poem is lovely. I really enjoy reading these.

Psalm 118:24 is one of my favorites too.

I think of Lot's wife when I'm tempted to dwell on the past...She turned into a pillar of salt because she was focused on looking back instead of looking forward!

Thank you for sharing your wise words.

I love you!! XOXO

Historicus said...

Grandmother,

Thanks again for sharing your insights and wodnerful poetry.

Psalm 118:24 reminds me of Matthew 6:25-34 which ends with "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Thank the Lord for His provision and gracious blessings!

-Matthew