Saturday, April 28, 2007

Too Busy

Former editorial director and longtime Guidepost contributor, Author Gordon, in an article written in 2002 had this to say about being too busy to make up your mind to accept Christ as your Savior:

"Each morning our big cat, Oreo and I go through our familiar ritual at the back door. Oreo has been outside for awhile and he really wants to come in, so I open the door and wait. I think ruefully of the Bible passage, 'Behold I stand at the door............,' but will he come in.

No, he won't. He stops and lowers his head suspiciously as if I were some deadly enemy. Come on Oreo I say tapping my foot impatiently. He sits thoughtfully and begins to wash his face with one paw. Oreo, I say, I give you food, I supply all your needs. If you do anything in return, I don't know what it is. Now I'm personally inviting you into my house, so come on in!

Oreo puts one foot across the threshold, then draws it back. He looks out across the yard with some remote, unfathomable expression. He still doesn't come into the house.

Oreo, I say, I'm not going to stand here forever. If you don't come in I'm going to close this door. This is your last chance.

Slowly, I start to close the door, Does he come in? No, he sits there, exercising his free will or something. He'll come when it suits him, not before. He figures I'll be patient. So far, he's right.

God made cats. He also made people. I wonder how God feels sometimes when he stands at the door and waits.........and waits."

Too Busy
Days come - days go
as we wander to and fro.
Come here - go heed,
house to keep and family to feed.
Meetings here- meetings there,
we are caught in one big snare.
Much to do - much to dare,
But Christ's followers should care.
Others suffer - Lord, we pray,
We need more time, show us the way.
Days we learn- days we teach,
Aims are high for goals to reach.
God is love - Christ His Son,
Bring this message to everyone.
God loves us - He sent His Son,
Let's give thanks for what He's done.
Life is full - our response,
A grateful heart,
He supplies our wants.

2 comments:

Lisa Smith said...

May we never be too busy for God or those we love!

Historicus said...

Grandmother,

That's a great word picture for how people are. It's too bad that people can't be more like loving/content canines. Whatever a dog gets for dinner is treated as the best meal it has ever had. The dog will wait patiently until the master comes home and then after lavishing him or her with slobber, will simply sit at the master's feet fully content just to be in the same room.

Thankfully, the Master is patient with us stubborn humans who insist on having our own way even though it is less fulfilling.

-Matthew